[-empyre-] Muzakical Interventions?

info at pan-o-matic.com info at pan-o-matic.com
Tue Apr 15 16:35:08 EST 2008

Before the sun rises over here in the global north (america) a few
more mood swings within the scope of the art formerly known as
ambient media that redirect the flow of traffic:

Paul Pfeiffer's "Orpheus Descending" installed at WTC in April 2001.
http://www.publicartfund.org/pafweb/realm/01/pfeiffer_p_release_01.html
"Pfeiffer installs a video artwork that captures the ten-week life
cycle of a flock of chickens as they hatch from their eggs and
develop from day-old chicks to full-grown adults in an organic, free-
range environment. This pre-recorded video image will be played in
real time, 24 hours per day, seven days a week, above the steady flow
of pedestrian traffic. Intended to match the rhythms of this
community of commuters, the video does not require sustained
conscious engagement from its viewers. Rather, it is meant to be seen
in passing for a few moments, day after day in the periphery of
consciousness, barely registering a subliminal image." Provocative
yet simple and elegant intervention into the normalization of speed.

Jill Magid "Lobby 7"
http://www.jillmagid.net/Lobby7.php
"Lobby 7 was performed in the main lobby of the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology. I hijacked the lobby’s informational
monitor, interrupting its daily broadcast with a transmission of my
own. This transmission was a real-time exploration of my body and the
surrounding architecture as seen through the natural openings of my
clothes, via a lipstick surveillance camera that I held in my hand.
The performance took one half hour- the time needed to capture every
part of myself I that I could reach." Jill's intention is "to seek
intimate relationships with impersonal structures". She has been
coined the seductress of surveillance. In many of her works these
systems of control become subverted as she gets to know the workers
behind the curtain.

Jeff Crouse - "Youthreebe"
http://youthreebe.com
The RE/user generated trinity of Youtube.

and kudos on Peter Sinclair's "Autosync" via GH's earlier post
http://nujus.net/peterhomepage/autosync/autosync.html
I find this to be an exciting piece of interactive ambient media
slash psycho-geo device confronting our co-dependency on locative,
shrinking electronic devices and enabling the user to regain/reclaim
their own who, what, where sense-ability.

cheers,
Stephanie