[-empyre-] 'real' networked art

Ian Clothier I.Clothier at witt.ac.nz
Sat Oct 17 15:34:28 EST 2009

Probably I have missed one or two heartbeats in this discussion, but it would be good to return to the contention that time might be of greater relevance to net art, and digital media context in general.

An abbreviated wish list for context, which will be presented more fully at re:live would be:

1. Context that is current.

2. Context that is media independent.
Much context to date is dependent on the media that is under discussion however there must be a context on practice that is not limited by media. Everyone knows that net.art is not a category like 'sculpture' but we currently persist in media associated context.

3. Context that is not necessarily anchored in a sense of place.
This is necessary because media practice is occurring within, beyond and in-between the art/museum institution and the broader spacetime of social communication media and it’s adjuncts. Social communication media are driving creative possibilities rather than vice versa.

4. Context that is relevant multi-culturally. Really important in global context, many are all a little tired of Western only context.

5. Context that is shared. Rather than singular contextual identity (Foucault, Baudrillard, Hayles, Manovich) context is provided by several simultaneously (us).

Curt Cloninger posted to the new media curating list a possible framework based on time, which are sufficient to actualise a hybrid post modern, inter-cultural and contemporary context:

"Some scales of speed simultaneously at play in The Art Formerly Known as Time-Based:

1. The time it takes the actual media art object to play out (as Jon Thompson noted -- a decaying sculpture, a perpetually updated data cloud).
 categorically problematic is aleatoric software (like Brian Eno's "77 Million Paintings") which perpetually runs with enough generative variability to keep from ever "looking" like the same thing twice (although arguably it is performing the same perpetual function at an algorithmic level).

2. The Cartesian clock time that the discrete viewer/user actually spends viewing/interacting with the work in the space (three seconds, 30 minutes, or whatever).

3. The more subjective Bergsonian time (analog, non-digital, qualitative not quantitative) that the discrete viewer spends affectively experiencing the work (could involve personal prior memories, could involve the work coming to mind later after leaving the space). This is related to the Cartesian clock time, but by no means solely determined by it.

4. The time that the entire show or project runs.

5. Archival time -- how the work is archived, collected, subsequently displayed, gradually folded into an art historical canon.

6. The evolutionary time of art criticism and art historical scholarship (and its overlap with philosophy, science, culture theory, etc.)

7. The evolutionary time of an art practice throughout an artist's life.

8. Curatorial research time.

9. Institutional evolutionary time -- the time it takes art institutions to come to terms with and incorporate new media forms (or new conceptual approaches to old media forms).

Best

Ian M Clothier
Director
Intercreate Research Centre