[-empyre-] glitch device

Curt Cloninger curt at lab404.com
Tue Dec 6 04:39:55 EST 2011

Hi Julian,

Less interesting to me than the glitch-alike vs. pure/wild glitch
dichotomy, is all the qualitative, affective gradiations amongst
types of glitch events, glitch artifacts, and lived human responses
to "the unexpected" (whether intentionally orchestrated by an artist
or accidentally happened upon). There are a billion different ways
for something to "not work as expected." From a commercial
programmer's pragmatic perspective, these differences are only
relevant in terms of troubleshooting and problem solving. They are
less interesting in and of themselves (aesthetically?
fetishistically?) and more interesting in terms of how one might
erradicate them.

To become interested in glitch events (and artifacts) in and of
themselves is admittedly aesthetic and fetishistic (the pretty
blinking lights), but also at least philosophical and semiotic, if
one's philosophy and semiotics allows for the importance of affective
ways of knowing (D+G, Whitehead, Bergson, Bakhtin). To dismiss glitch
aesthetics as so much ear/eye candy is to relegate all the immanent,
variable, affective modulations that such visual/audible textures
invoke on human wetware to the trash bin. A lot gets lost in this
move. So the more interesting criterion to me is not, "is it expected
or unexpected?" (as if it could only be all one or all the other).
The more interesting question might be, "What is it doing to me?"

Having said that, I agree that (often) a glitch-alike plug-in isn't
doing all that much to me, particularly if it is applied generically
(rather than variegatedly or to some conceptual effect), particularly
once its prefab effect has been culturally assimilated.

Best,
Curt