[-empyre-] human glitches

Rosa Menkman rmenkman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 11:40:13 EST 2011

Dear Renate, (&& all.)
Great, I am really enjoying this (glitch-)weave culture and yes, it has existed for a long time, but a new time favorite of mine is Melissa Barron (who I mentioned before already in my list of favorite works of the last 2 years).

In her work, Melissa deconstructs not just the weave, but what could be described as the different materials of digital language or code (do we make difference between these two?):
The threats of her weaves are a 1-1 translation of the lines of the apple ][ - screen resolution. But she does not just interfere with the weaving process of these lines; she also deconstructs the encoding of the game in two ways: first of all, she mods the onscreen language, by changing the encoded textual interface / elements of the game to for instance  lolcat speak or l33t speak. Besides this, she sometimes changes/glitches/bends the encoding of the game so it looks glitched/is not playable anymore. The screenshots of the outcomes of these different mods finally all come together in her weaves made on a tc-1 jacquard loom (old huge weaving device).
Melissa refers to her work often as "glitch weaves" (I was at a presentation she gave on her work during ISEA this year), just to say: I am not just referring to these works as glitch, the artist herself does that too.

But what about this is connection to
- 1930s: Anni Albers Bauhaus Weaves
- 2004: the distorted Argyle-pattern by Roel Wouters
- 2010 exhibition "the crazy rag-rugs from Marocco" or "Boucherouite" (nomadic pattern recycling becoming institutionalized)
- 2007-2010: Notendo designed apparel (fetishized/commodified NES glitch Patterns)
- 2011: Beflix Winding numbers  (Acrylic and photographic dye on a long cotton strip, organized in any way the curator of the exhibition wants - giving him or her the freedom to organize the data in or around any container s/he wants  and thus effectively organizing the "original data" in anyway way. (GLI.TC/H outcome hung by me)

For the first three works this is one step too far in the context of glitch art - at least for my taste... but the last two are two very different ways of playing with the digital material of glitch/weave/code. One commodifies/fetishizes glitch as a static aesthetic and is definitely not my favorite. The work by Beflix however gave me, as curator, a new appreciation for "data bending"; the long cotton strip of data ( ▌█▌██▌█▀ ), delivered in a celluloid film canister with a very minimal manual gave me the freedom to wrap his spool? of data around anything in almost anyway I felt like. Finally freedom of data - that will function on/in any container.
Moreover, when the end of file is reached, and there is not enough data to finish the line, Gaffer tape will do the trick!
No writing error, very fulfilling!
Beflix' work references data bending and classic glitch aesthetics like dimensionality of the image (like Hight and Width but also code and for instance color layers), interlacing, interleaving, displacement, rows, pixels, jagged edges, checker boarding, and serendipitously a term that has been taken from the textile arts into image compression-artifact-debugging jargon, namely: quilting.