[-empyre-] Welcome Helene Black and Yiannis Colakides: Art, Funding, Politics

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 2 12:53:02 EST 2011

On our recent trip to Istanbul last in September to ISEA we were
re-aquainted with the work of Helene Black and Yiannis Colakides on
neme.org
On the very last night of our stay in fact we shared a wonderful
dinner with them where we talked about their moderating a special
discussion of -empyre soft-skinned space on Art, Funding, and
Politics. They will be hosting a critical discussion on recent
economic developments and their impact upon the arts. I would like to
warmly welcome them to -empyre and post their biographies (see below)
They will be posting their first posts I presume when they awaken.
They will be writing to us from their home in Cyprus. Best Regards,
Renate Ferro

I would like to remind all of our subscribers that the link to
subscriptions and un subscribing is not activated right now but will
be shortly.  If you have any requests in regards to subscriptions
please send me a personal email at rferro at cornell.edu

Also a couple of reminders.
Any of our subscribers wishing to host a month long discussion on
-empyre during the months of April, May or June of 2012 please send me
an email.
Also, Our friends at COFA who enable this list-serve just recently
changed servers.  Please make note of the following:

TO MAKE A POST TO THE SUBSCRIPTION LIST USE:
empyre at lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au

TO ACCESS TEN YEARS WORTH OR ARCHIVES USE THIS URL:
http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/

TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE FROM THE CORNELL SERVER TO FIND OUT MORE
ABOUT EMPYRE  GO TO: http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/

Biographies:
Yiannis Colakides is a practicing architect (Architectural
Association, London), a founding member and the current director of
NeMe. He is also a peer reviewer at Leonardo LABs. His architectural
experience includes working for Seifert Architects, London, Zaha
Hadid, (London), Avci Jurka (London) before returning to Cyprus where
he runs his own practice since 1993 . He is responsible for the
organisation and coordination of NeMe’s projects such as In Transition
Cyprus 2006, In Transition Russia 2008 and Margins of Time, 2009. He
curated The Mirror Stage 2006 (Lanitis Foundation, Limassol, Cyprus)
and co-curated with Helene Black, "Cor Unum" (NCCA, Moscow &
Yekaterinburg), "Margins of Time"(Lanitis Foundation, Limassol,
Cyprus), "...so now what" (SCOPE, Lincoln Centre, New York & Basel,
Switzerland) and "Dialogues with the machine" (Sala Berlanga, Madrid).
His texts appeared in various Cypriot and international publications.

Helene Black is an artist and cofounder of the interdisciplinary NGO
NeMe. Since 1992, she lives and works in Limassol, Cyprus. To date,
she has 14 one person shows and numerous group shows.  In addition,
she has curated and co-curated several exhibitions such as "In
Transition Russia 2008" with Sheila Pinkel and Alisa Prudnikova
(Museum of Modern Art, Ekaterinburg and National Centre of
Contemporary Art, Moscow, Russia), "In Transition Cyprus 2006" with
Sheila Pinkel,  (Lanitis Centre, Cyprus) ,"...SO NOW WHAT?" (for Scope
New York and Basel) with Yiannis Colakides, "COR UNUM" 2008 (NCCA,
Moscow) with Yiannis Colakides, "Isolomania" (NIMAC, Nicosia) 2008 and
"Dialogues with the machine" (Sala Berlanga, Madrid) with Yiannis
Colakides.

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
Cornell University
Department of Art, Tjaden Hall Office #420
Ithaca, NY  14853
Email:   <rtf9 at cornell.edu>
      http://www.privatesecretspubliclies.net
Lab:  http://www.tinkerfactory.net

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre