[-empyre-] Contextual Glitch

magnus lawrie magnus at ditch.org.uk
Thu Mar 1 09:26:13 EST 2012

Hi Gabriel and all,

More quotes, these from Pasquinelli "The Ideology of Free Culture and
the Grammar of Sabotage"

http://www.generation-online.org/c/fc_rent4.pdf

Perhaps they will resonate also with Rob's remarks on rent.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 01:52:37PM +0000, Gabriel Menotti wrote:

> Again, to bring back one question from the previous week: wouldn’t
> these art (‘critical’?) practices profit from moving away from the
> discipline of aesthetics altogether?

"Because of the immateriality and anonymity of rent, the grammar of
sabotage has become the modus operandi of the multitudes trapped into
the network society and cognitive capitalism. The sabotage is the only
possible gesture specular to the rent — the only possible gesture to
defend the commons."

> What comes to my mind is Hito Steyerl’s take on the “poor image” (or
> Francesco Casetti’s idea of “relocations”), in which the “aesthetic”
> loss in embraced in favour of economic gains (e.g. cost, speed -
> mostly access). Given these parameters (which are not merely
> contextual, but operational), a tension with the market seems
> nonetheless to persist.
>
> The market can always co-opt the look&fell of, say, CAM movie
> recordings – but can it co-opt piracy?

'...does "good" digital piracy produce conflict, or does it simply
sell more hardware and bandwidth? Is "good" piracy an effective hazard
against real accumulation or does it help other kinds of rent
accumulation?'

Best wishes,

Magnus