[-empyre-] "Urban resilience"

Kamen Nedev kamennedev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 19:53:06 EST 2012

Hola, Ethel,

I'd turn your question upside-down: "Is resilience the new resistance?"

By now, you must have gathered I have some serious reservation about
the proliferation of the term "resilience". But I think there is a
good reason for this phenomenon. We're all struggling to grasp the
real implications of current social movements and their acts of
resistance. The many, and diverse "occupy" movements appear to be
beyond the reach of the tools and concepts we have been handling
hitherto.

Thus, the attempts to relate the so-called "Arab Spring" to the
Spanish "#15M" movement to the recent upheavals in London tend to fall
short on the ground.

In my opinion, what we are dealing with here is a truly networked
phenomenon: these movements and spaces are first constructed online,
and only then move on to the "bricks-and-mortar" urban space. But this
doesn't mean that this phenomenon is new and unknown.

@Ana Valdés: you should locate and talk to Olaf Westphalen from the
Fine Arts Faculty in Stockholm. He has been researching the notion of
resilience as applied to current social resistance movements quite a
lot, and has some interesting ideas on the subject.

Best,

Kamen

--
http://www.waitingforcargo.net