[-empyre-] "Urban resilience"

Ethel Baraona Pohl ethel.baraona at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 23:11:16 EST 2012

I'm really glad to fin some good friends on this discussion!

@Aristide Antonas: I find quite interesting the difference you remark
between "resilience" and "resistance" and the opposition between positive
and negative connotations. But is not adaptability a kind of "passive
resistance"? In case we understand "resilience" as *“the capacity of a
system to absorb disturbance and reorganize while undergoing change so as
to still retain essentially the same function, structure, identity, and
feedbacks”*, maybe we can find common links with the movements like the
#15M in Spain, where resistance doesn't include any kind of implicit or
physical violence.

@Kamen I'm aware about your reservation of the proliferation of the term
"resilience". Just as every concept that starts reaching its *tipping-point,
* it is under the risk to becoming "trendy" and loose its real importance,
as has happened before with terms like "sustainability" or "participation".
But this fact only reinforces the interest to discuss here the importance
of urban resilience going further and far away of becoming "the new
black<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_new_black>".
I completely agree with you that the movements we're witnessing nowadays
are truly networked phenomenon and maybe is in the uses of these new
technologies that we can find the new basis of resilience.

If we go back to the referenced text of François Roche and his idea that
resilience lies in the recognition of nonlinear systems in nature as a
potential for emergence, we can go on talking about this phenomenon (#15M,
#occupyingwallstreet) as examples of
swarm intelligence (or the organic relations mentioned by Ana) and
emergence, in the way that DeLanda focus on the term
"emergence"<http://books.google.es/books?id=F5wvXkJwFwkC&lpg=PP1&dq=inauthor%3A%22Manuel%20De%20Landa%22&hl=es&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false>:
*"**the emergent properties of a whole can now be explained as an effect of
the causal interactions between its component parts." *According to this,
the interactions between *citizens [net]working together* are creating a
new resilient model in the urban context.

What do you think?

Ethel
---
Ethel Baraona Pohl | dpr-barcelona <http://www.dpr-barcelona.com/>
twitter @ethel_baraona <https://twitter.com/ethel_baraona> |
about.me<http://about.me/ethel_baraona>
ethel.baraona at gmail.com
(+34) 626 048 684

*Before you print think about the environment*