[-empyre-] "Urban resilience"

Antonas Office antonasoffice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 06:42:32 EST 2012

Yes empyre is a nice living room, Ethel, we may continue here an older discussion.

@Ethel Baraona Pohl:
To me there is a strategic problem in the distinction between resistance and resilience that drives us back to the difference between the society of a recent past and the social landscape that is already organized after web 2. The difference  between resistance and resilience is related to the crucial difference between the epoch of deconstruction and the one of the multitude; the conceptual landscape described by Derrida as a field where hegemonic powers can grow (and therefore they be deconstructed) is different to the description of the field where no obvious hegemonic power can be detected. I believe that such a field is described by Virno and Negri when they write about the multitude. Within the fields of the multitude resistance is no more easily conceivable. If within deconstruction we were in front of an ethical task to sabotage the hegemonic, within the fields of multitude (that better describe the network phenomena that we examine) no such sabotage seems meaningful. If there is no obvious hegemonic power, no interesting resistance can take place. Resilience is still a possibility.

The appearance of an already deconstructed field, a non hegemonic, not hierarchically structured multiplicity of fragments, described by Negri, can propose different strategies of resistance. I believe that resilience fits to a theoretical background where resistance is no longer possible. It is not applicable if no power is obvious. Resistance is an old word that corresponds to naive powers: new powers can hide and cannot be resisted. But it seems that from a strategic point of view we need to reinvent resistance, to unveil anew the hidden hegemonic powers that lay under this appearance of the multitude.

If power is getting more and more sophisticated and invisible, if we do not understand what is at stake when there are decisions to be made: resistance will be the most difficult task. Resilience shows the changeable quality of a relation to a transformable background. It Stilton be an interesting weapon if we know what it attacks. But it does not need this knowledge in order to operate. It can be a poor strategy if it only follows the shifting center of a changing power.

If a power field seems already deconstructed, populated by multiple, and if invisible hegemonic powers operate in secret then Resistance becomes a difficult intellectual destination.

Aristide Antonas, Athens

Sent from antonas iPhone