[-empyre-] re/claiming and unsettling / continuing artistic practices

Antonas Office antonasoffice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:33:28 EST 2012

Thank you Johannes Birringer for your observations. I would like to comment the Zizek's reference to Athens and Sparta. I was not there and I cannot see from your reference which was his point. I made my reference to Athens because I consider it the contemporary city that comes first in a series of cities that cannot anymore be included in a homogeneous European community. The city changed violently during the last years. The radical change is obvious by the growth of the homeless population occupying sidewalks and corners and with the garbage recycling works that keeps busy many athenian immigrants in the centre. Athens is maybe the first city in Europe that receives the spirit of a global unified world; it will show the reaction of europe over it. It maybe shows an image of the future because now in athens we can see a picture of what is happening next to us and the borders hide it. The violent changes in the city divided a homogeneous territory in gated communities and ghettoes. The city on some parts of it, is not recognizable, in some parts it is similar to a war field. What makes it also indicative for the future is the way Europe understands its recovery. The answer to this violent change seems to be a forced order and a constitution of a different status quo. A non voted government and the priority of the banks over the state is also a future feature which we observe already in Greece, in Italy, in Spain.

Athens was a normal European city and it is not any more. This specific change in its tissue I call emblematic. It seems that it will be repeated and the rest of Europe should know. It shows an ending to the architecture of the city that we knew. Something different and important takes place in Athens. New state strategies for a next western world are tested. This is why the difference between resistance and resilience is crucial here.

Aristide Antonas
Athens

Sent from antonas iPhone