[-empyre-] Benjamin, Peter Weiss, the city as performative?

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 03:04:48 EST 2012

There's a lot of material on Weimar performance which tallies with this;
I'm thinking particularly of performers like Anita Berber and Valeska Gert,
both of whom have had a large influence on my work. Interestingly, much of
the best performance work, much of the legacy, is the work of women. Gert
later came to the US, and opened a cabaret/cafe here in NY for a time; she
had an effect on Living Theater. Both Gert and Berber were within the
imaginary of resistance; their own identity was on the line. There was also
Mary Wigman, many others. This was all swept away of course. I'm just
curious - did Weiss reference any of this?

--
directory http://www.alansondheim.org tel 347-383-8552
music/sound http://espdisk.com/alansondheim/