[-empyre-] The city as a skin -- Sparta and the helots

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 18:51:20 EST 2012

Dear all, I am so impressed and happy for the great input and the quality
of the discussion we carry on here! As someone coming back to my homecity
after 34 years of abscense living abroad (Stockholm) it's vital to me
understand the codes and the networks working here in Montevideo, a city
still haunted by the dictatorship. The military detented power here between
1973 to 1985. I was myself four years in prison and was later deported to
Sweden where I spent 34 years.
During the 11 years of dictatorship the population here in Uruguay resisted
in all possible ways. They resisted through popular music, through strikes,
clandestine meetings, social unrest and at the end they voted no to the
continuation of the military ruling.
They did'nt have any electronic technology, they gathered in quick
manifestations, they smuggled out films to tell the world what happened in
our jails and they passed information about our missing comrades, killed
and their bodies hidden away in anonymous massgraves or buried in the Rio
de la Plata's deep waters.
I mean the occupy movements are interesting but they must find their way to
next level of conscience and acting, from merely resistance to changing.
But how?
Ana

--
http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/

mobil/cell +4670-3213370

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci