[-empyre-] on re-thinking our practices

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 15:49:24 EST 2012

Teddy, wonderful post, thank you for it! It made me think hard and to try
to back to myself. Yesterday on a military base, a human body was
recovered. Bones and clothes, nothing more. Today the remains are being
examinated by doctors and judges. It's not CSI, it's reality for the whole
South America, for the Balkans, for Rwanda. Massgraves are not longer
exception but the norm.
Last year I was in Guatemala, your old homeland, and met Rigoberta Menchu
and leaders for indigenous communities in Quiche, in Chichicastenango, in
Huehuetenango, the Cuchumatans Mountains, in Yalamojoch. Every village had
massgraves and people walk around when new graves were found to identify
some missing relatives. A DNA proof was more common than an pregnancy test.
This days Montevideo is hosting the big meeting of the BID, one of the
international bank organizations responsable for apply the newliberal
measures demanded by the capital.
It's a irony to see all the bureaucrats travel around in shiny limos
greeted by ministers and dignitaries and we, the rest of the country,
waiting for the name of the recovered body.
We all have people there, still unburied. Friends, relatives, teachers,
neighboors.
How should we do to make all these parallel stories converge?

Ana

--
http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/

mobil/cell +4670-3213370

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci