[-empyre-] on re-thinking our practices

ARISTIDE ANTONAS antonasoffice at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 23:18:49 EST 2012

Dear Teddy Cruz, dear Ana Valdés,

Strategy is the topic to discuss, because the phenomena we are into can
only keep a continuity to the past through the inertness that you described
as the last important refuge of capitalism: a transformation of the left
rhetorics to a banal way of capitalistic "lessez faire", or what happens
when the only possible way to enter a political discourse becomes similar
to the way we withdraw from it. Art and architecture form fields of
interrogation that transcend the normal understanding of their limits; they
can now be perceived as as platforms of action. I believe that the
transformation you describe as this shift of rhetorics is done through an
operation of dividing the community; it could never happen top down: it
occurred bottom up, through the Internet and with a work done by the
communities "themselves". Virno, Negri and Hardt capture this moment as the
moment of the multitude; I understand this historical moment as an
acceptance of inoperative resistance to anything. The multitude first and
foremost describe an inability to think about resistance to hegemonic
schemata, because such schemata are not obvious in the condition of the
multitude. In this condition of the multitude the negation of any theory,
the opposition to any concrete policy enters the same sphere of the policy
itself and is similar to many other policies; resistance loses its meaning,
it becomes a post about resistance in the internet archive. It is operated
as an entry in a dictionary, as an archive function, between many other
archived  and categorized acts of resistance. The multitude is the name of
the political condition after the Internet, a realized deconstruction, even
if deconstruction could never be realized; its work would be to decode and
sabotage this hidden homogeneity of the internet archive from inside the
archive and also from its outside. We can either act in this field through
a strategical insistence on details, accepting to answer in an entry level
organizing a resilience to parts of it or by adding to a heavy live archive
another more or less unimportant entry. The means, even if made to promote
distinct identities is now working to burry them into controlled super
platforms such as google, facebook and all the other web 2 structures that
organize a person as a function of the uses done within their frames.
Resistance as a system of major opposition to hegemonic structures seem to
lose its meaning if included in this frame. It organizes the community as a
republic system of different, distinct isolated plural meeting points, that
are grounded in such predetermined platforms. Between the platforms we
encounter a growing desert. The more these platform communities become
active the more the background on which they grow seems empty. Division
will more emphatically be the rule of the future governance. The
description of capitalism will tend to be identified with this desert: the
only unifying factor of everything a concept of empty religion as Agamben
puts it and also a place where no right is reserved for any "real" person.
In this frame the current state legislations and the rights they preserve
for citizens will lose their meaning. We will gradually stop thinking that
we share some common human attributes as persons living in the same planet.
A person can be identified, categorized, understood when he or she enters
some of the communities that wait for him or her. The concept of the gated
community (fake paradise or ghetto) is the operative concept of the city of
the future. A congregation of such islands and a mode of coexistence with
the less of  interaction between parts seems to be the most easy way to
keep the city's unity in a strategy of separation. From this point of view
we observe that Mouffe's concept of agonism reinforces the separatist
tension of the society and as well as the description of Virno, Negri and
Hardt. The relation between parts is in neither of those two readings the
emphasis: they both glorify the distinct existence of different social
particles, more or less related between them but always distinct and, in
the case of Mouffe, claiming the determination of their constitutive
structure. Merging different cultures without dividing seems to be now the
most difficult task; even an agonistic "model" of the society asks for
better determination of its parts: a republican constitution of isolated
social units will then form a stratification that is now under realization
in Athens: this is where capitalism is driving its problematic future. Our
local acts are to be seen, discussed and repeated all over the world. And
as you write, Teddy, it will be urban planning policies and legislations
that can be paradigmatic writings on the urban fabric in many senses. The
question will be how can we inspire or invent more general views in such a
fragmented field. And how can we elaborate the difference between the
specific and the general in this condition. The regulation of the specific
and the general needs in any case an architectonic elaboration.

Aristide Antonas

--
ANTONAS office
emm. Benaki 118