[-empyre-] network critical: immanent effects

Antonas Office antonasoffice at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:29:49 EST 2012

Dear Simon Taylor,

Thank you for bringing Albert-László Barabási in the discourse. I am very interested in your observations. My idea about your question will be that the ruling concept in this distinction between the network and the "real" world is the concept of protocol. In the net we seem to be used to be voluntarily restricted by strong, operative protocols that we accept in order to give meaning to any connection. We have not seen what this acceptance will bring as an after effect to "reality". States, constitutions and legislation were systems of protocols that seem very old to operate in this condition. Companies are quicker: they are already adapted in many senses to this different "protocol world" where, when it is question of connection, we obliged to accept a strong system where communication is predefined and categorized as a restricted system of answers to specific questions or an affirmation of a interchangeable, chosen (between others) platform. The concept of protocol that became so strong on the Internet seeks its possible incarnation in "reality" while the net and the real lose the meaning of their distinction. Your questions, Simon, show this dead end: what would mean today the concept of urban protocols? How the concept of protocol will be grounded on our existing cities in order to transform them to something we do not know yet. It is in this condition that the concept of the citizen would have to be restructured while the lighter, operative and irresponsible concept of user will define the acting role of a lost urban subject.

I am going too quickly to conclusions; my city is changing rapidly too. It will be a network city and it would not look like a realized utopia. A question that will be important will be analogous to the one concerning the Internet; will the market prescribe the protocols of connectivity in the city or can we think other possible systems of civility, within this given frame? Who will be the subject who would fight for what urban protocols?

Aristide Antonas
Athens

Sent from antonas iPhone