[-empyre-] Surface - Bodies & Buildings

Michele Danjoux mdanjoux at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 10:01:19 EST 2012

Thank you Kristine, for the link, I enjoyed reading this essay very much and couldn't help but think we are almost 20 years on... Madonna (mentioned in this essay) has transitioned many more times since her 'Sex' book in the early 1990's... and Michael Jackson (also mentioned), became ravaged, whitened and straightened in a movement of metamorphosis away from his roots and his own skin.

>.The community gathered in French towns and villages to shear her head with animal clippers and then smear the sign of the swastika in soot on her bald forehead. The citizens judged her a "horizontal collaborator" for having sex with German soldiers during World War II. Denigrated and denounced as a whore, she was even stripped naked sometimes before being paraded through town, a token of the emblematic territories, defamations, and controls of war. She remained solitary amidst the molesting, persecuting assembly, exiled in a particularly sordid historical moment in a throng of her countrymen and women. >>

Actually, the fashion designer Coco Chanel was subjected to this very same ritualistic act for supposedly 'sleeping with the enemy.'

Away from inflicted body modification, the essay raises interesting questions about choices we make to modify our own bodies (specifically shaving head and having tattoos) and what this might mean, how it might be interpreted and experienced. It also makes me think about the transference of the ideas from our own surfaces to the surfaces of buildings and architectures through which we move, 'existing in primary relation to the situated body, not its representation but its activation, in all senses, all gaugings of weight and measure, size and scale.'  This is how the artist Richard Serra talks about his architectures and structures in relation to moving dynamic bodies. I experienced some of his works at the Guggenheim in Bilbao a few years back now, his torqued ellipses and spirals, geometries... And I experienced the thrill of the graffitied building (images attached) - unexpectedly whilst traversing the streets of New York - on a little detournement.

It was nestled beautifully between two very chic designer stores.

Michele