[-empyre-] The city as a skin -- Sparta and the helots / retrofitting -- not

simon swht at clear.net.nz
Thu Mar 22 16:06:58 EST 2012

Dear <<empyreans>>, Nick,

you write: "the political is not of itself it is borne out conflict" and
"not in a dialectical state but through demos"

this is exactly the negative I was referring to parenthetically: "and
make a dialectic that would ground OCCUPY? (Albeit in the negative.)"

I would like to know of how you conceive of this Platonist construct
that "work waits for no-one" and I agree with you entirely about the
inter-temporality (intermission? interval?) whereby the duration of
OCCUPY is interrupted by injunction, its "counter story" has a
necessarily choppy narrative. I don't however know why it is Plato whose
sense needs to be countered by this story. Perhaps he is being invoked
as the first director of Socrates in a primal scene of philosophical
dramatisation? I also wonder about whether it is sad that there is no
homogeneous whole for either philosophy - anymore, with that romantic
sigh of belatedness - or OCCUPY; while in OCCUPY's sense itself (and
sensation, or aesthetic, to which I was/am alluding) I see no illusion,
necessary or not, hopeful or harmful: neither philosophy nor OCCUPY are
required to be homogeneous nor indeed do they need to be subjected to a
verification, a veridification or any such fact- or truth-finding
process - which would anyway leave suspicious marks on their bodies,
which would have nothing to do with identity creation, and which would
doubtless lead neither to confession nor conviction - for anyone -, but
rather implicate the question-putters, pull them down off their purism.
I think of the heterogeneous series of Reza Negarastani where it sheers
asymptotically away from that of Gilles Deleuze. Or Kacem and Badiou,
although the latter's heterogeneity takes the guise of a pure numerical
and monolithic multiplicity. Lastly, I appreciate the nod to Adorno, and
would like to know what it means, unless by inference you are suggesting
that I nodded first, at the negative dialectic? Not the case!

Best,

Simon Taylor

www.squarewhiteworld.com