[-empyre-] Call for Papers: 7th International Conference on the Philosophy of Computer Games

Patrick Coppock patrick.coppock at unimore.it
Mon Mar 18 22:01:07 EST 2013

Hi all,

Given the current themes under discussion, I thought perhaps this Call
that just came out might be of interest for list members:

Best regards
PJC

    *Call for Papers*

*
*

    *7th International Conference on the Philosophy of Computer Games*

*
*

    *Computer Game Space -  Concept, Form and Experience *

*
*

    *We hereby invite scholars in any field of studies who take a
    professional interest in the philosophy of computer games to submit
    papers to the 7th International Conference on the Philosophy of
    Computer Games, to be held in Bergen, Norway, on October 2-4 2013.*

    *
    *

    *Player experience and dynamics in computer games are structured
    around apparent spatial relations inside the gameworld. It is
    furthermore common to use spatial metaphors such as  “action space”,
    “possibility space”, “experiential space” to explain central aspects
    of these games. For this conference we invite papers that aim to
    clarify and critically evaluate views about the nature of spatial
    relations in computer games. The papers may address such questions
    as: Is space in games fictional or real? What is the nature of space
    in games if it is not fictional? What are the formal properties of
    space in computer games? What is the role of spatial relations in
    defining interactivity? What is the relation between in-game spatial
    orientation and ordinary spatial orientation? *

*
*

    *Accepted papers will have a clear focus on philosophy and
    philosophical issues in relation to computer games. They will refer
    to specific examples from computer games rather than merely invoke
    them in general terms.*

*
*

    *In addition to papers that are directed at the main theme we invite
    a smaller number of papers in an “open” category. We are especially
    interested in papers that aim to continue discussions from earlier
    conferences in this series.*

*
*

    *The abstracts should have a maximum 1000 words including
    bibliography. Please note if you intend your paper to fit in the
    “open” category.  Deadline for submissions is 17:00 GMT, June 14,
    2013. Please submit your abstract in PDF format through
    review.gamephilosophy.org <http://review.gamephilosophy.org/>. *

    *
    *

    *All submitted abstracts will be subject to double blind peer
    review.  Notification of accepted submissions will be sent out by
    August 15, 2013. A full paper draft must then be submitted by
    September 25, 2013 and will be made available on the conference
    website.*

*
*

    *We also issue a call for workshops to be held on October 1. Please
    contact the program committee chair if you are interested in
    organizing a workshop. *

*
*

    *For information about the conference please visit
    2013.gamephilosophy.org <http://2013.gamephilosophy.org/> and
    gamephilosophy.org <http://gamephilosophy.org>. A wiki-based
    bibliography for the conference theme will be made available.*

*
*

    *Olav Asheim*

*
*

    *Kristine Jørgensen*

*
*

    *Rune Klevjer*

*
*

    *Stephan Günzel*

*
*

    *Gordon Calleja*

*
*

    *Patrick Coppock*

*
*

    *Olli Tapio Leino*

*
*
*John Richard Sageng, program committee chair*

--
Posted By Blogger to Patrick's workspace
<http://patcopwork.blogspot.com/2013/03/call-for-papers-7th-international.html>

--
--
Patrick J. Coppock