[-empyre-] Digital Game Sound

Anne Marie Schleiner opensorcery at opensorcery.net
Thu Mar 28 17:01:56 EST 2013

HI George

The utter darkness combined with 3d audio seems to work well for horror
genre games, I just took a quick look at your to audio games you posted
for the moment but as a tangent I wonder if it could be interesting to
have just occasional visual halluciantions pop up out of the darkness.
The first game I have seen where you close your eyes and have
hallucinations btw is Bientot L'Ete by Tale of Tales...
http://indiegames.com/2013/03/road_to_the_igf_tale_of_tales_.html

I also wonder if someone designed a freeware sound game engine like the
games you posted with only sound if this could be a could become a forum
for players to try out interactive storytelling via games?

One interesting set of games in terms of  sound for their synethesia
effect that you probably already know are Rez and Child of Eden designed
by Tetzuya Mizuguchi-Child of Eden especially:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EfjJeRzQ5M

Yes sound is the underdog of games--or at least falls of the radar as a
forgotten afterthought, as it is of media art in general--part of our
general cultural bias to see rather than hear these days--some kind of
ludic audio politics or power position could be developed  relation to
sound?

Cheers,
Anne-Marie