[-empyre-] Introducing Erik Ehn

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 08:36:28 EST 2014

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014, Erik Ehn wrote:

(for some reason, I can't quote directly here)

The technocrats of light, I keep thinking of scorched, of scorching, of
the annihilation of language, body, history, past reduced to a telling and
invention by others. The past was never the present, never translates;
"what I remember" for example of the "Vietnam era" is just that -
quotations. All the way back, Sartre in Imagination described the image as
imaginary in both senses, that it's a presence/construct. But that
requires someone to do the constructing. I think of Barrett's post as well
- if there are images that literally block or destroy by their vehemence
- or better yet, experiences that produce post traumatic stress syndrome
where, among other things, the mind keeps tunneling inescapably around the
same moments of anguish - what then? (What if contemplation is
impossible?)

- Alana