[-empyre-] language, reporting the virtually true

Erik Ehn shadowtackle at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 6 03:32:54 EST 2014

scarry's book on beauty (as justice) also alluring.

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:31 AM, Alan Sondheim <sondheim at panix.com> wrote:

There are times this 'slow terror' speeds up, times it slows down; it
seems to me it might be problematic to inflate it with ISIS and the like;
there are two - and more - destructive orders of the world and worlding. I
began reading Assyrian texts again (in translation/transliteration/etc.)
and it's uncanny how the same techniques pop up again and again, all the
way back roughly four-thousand years. Violence is everywhere; think of the
heads used in the Mayan ball-games, the Shang Burials, Ferguson. How do we
psychologically survive this (in some ways we don't re: Amery - I have to
thank Pier Marton for recommending him), how can we refuse the catatonia
of anguish?

empyre forum
empyre at lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu