[-empyre-] language/discourse on terror, reporting the virtually true

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Thu Nov 6 09:17:48 EST 2014

dear all,
one can only thank those who have joined so far, and welcome Olga and Pia, and those who like Ana write through their memory pain and evoke the death of hope for human civilization;
the destructive character seems to favor the slow or continual, steady collapse of all infrastructures – but John, you don't subscribe to annihilation, do you?

the contemporary  focus on, literally, digging up the past and preserving it has limits. (We probably only do so because we have such a glut of energy flowing around our 'developed' world, because re-organizing the past in any form (from library to archive to buildings) definitely takes energy!).

this interested me (the limit, and the changes too, in contexts of preservation), also in relation to Erik's and Jon's ferociously provocative texts on the clichés (trailers all, of moves/choreographies and movies predictabled)
and the spectacle of the scaffold.

>>[Jon schreibt]
Human rights are fraying, while democratic torture practices are being bootlegged and remixed in the global theater of cruelty. Infrastructurally, alongside the democratization of media technologies unfolds the democratization of reservoirs of violence, violence stored and reanimated from bodily repertoires, historical archives, and digital databases.

Pia, human rights violation observer in Gaza and West Bank, tell us what human rights, then?  what rights for the normalistas, people on the ground, to one side of the wall or border, and for those who cling to survival, or fear the imagined coming-to -be-experienced (tales of) tortures?

Pia the last line of your doubled post left me speechless; and so I wish not to continue here, also needing to reflect on Olga's findings and strategies to speak to combatants and those for whom killing is just a job, not even a banality (of evil), but mere professonalism (not to be talked about, not worth mentioning?).  Olga you had mentioned to me a trailer of your "Soldiers of the Last Empire"  -- do you wish us to see it, after what Erik wrote?  Your performance techniques of self interest me a great deal, in your context (and I want to read Judith Butler's "Frames of War: When Is Life Grievable"  [Verso 2010] to see whether "performance" of precarious being is a workable theory).

[Pia schreibt]

But you can never say that you are close enough.
All the journalists and observers are left behind, arrive late at the scene.
To be close enough to know you have to be the killer or the victim.

regards
Johannes Birringer