[-empyre-] Antigone's Bones, then backwards

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Nov 7 04:15:37 EST 2014

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Johannes Birringer wrote:

> dear all:
>
> And Alan (and Pia), aesthetics is involved, for sure. Why would you
> suggest that beheadings are formeless, and not a precise choreography
> and strategy? You say:
>> .. the form of ISIS and many other groups is close to formless; on one
>> hand, a caliphate, and on the other, a kind of formless and violent
>> vandalism.>>

I think you're misreading - I said the form of ISIS, not the performances
they produce; they occupy territory on an ad hoc basis, take what and
where they can, turn that into theater.

> It seemed to me that the modes of terrorizing an other, a people, a
> group, an occupied population, or it being an attack
> movement/avant-garde (of a radical Islamism or Jihad), sure it cannot be
> formless but follows widely known patterns, no

Sure, it's connected to nomadic lines of flight, deterritorializations,
etc.

> It is situations where there is a final condition that disorder can
> actually change into order. In other words there can be a backward arrow
> of time. (Marcus Chown, "The Universe Next Door"]

I'd go with non-equilibrium thermodynamics here, plateaus of organization
fueled by a countryside in disarray.

- Alan