[-empyre-] concerning violence, and more Antigone's bones

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Nov 9 04:28:26 EST 2014

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014, Johannes Birringer wrote:

is there any grappling that could answer Alan's statement of dissolution?

------------------

And I want to answer this in so many ways; the statement was not a
question although Johannes' question embodying my statement, is.

There are visceral reactions to extreme pain, abject dissolution of the
body; these seem fundamental to many animal species, not just humans.

To speak of an answer is to speak of a question, is to speak, is to use
language, to have recourse to language. And in these situations, none of
this speaking, from 'the first blow,' may be possible.

Extreme pain, without medical intervention - the cries and screams of the
wounded (discussed earlier in empyre) - we are always already animal, we
murder; there are other species who murder.

Speech disappears, is impossible. (And as witness, so many Vets I know are
silent about their experience.)

The rest is the Other (of culture, cultural work, signifiers) which can
only appear later, as an afterthought/afterbirth/afterdeath; we are all
present, contribute to this. We all play and write in the theater of pain;
years ago, when I was beaten up badly, it was staged - on the street,
under an arch that might as well have been a proscenium.

I think of anguish as straddling, come-out or coming-forth from silence,
from those who bear witness, are affected, perhaps on the edge of death.