[-empyre-] Patriotism

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 01:25:59 EST 2014

For me the sheer concept of patriotism is weird, foreign. Every
country of the world is a construction, a border made up politically
for economical and territorial needs of the states but not for the
peoples. The people don't want borders or barriars or walls stopping
us and demanding from us passports and identifications.
I am a great fan of the Italian-Austrian writer Claudio Magris, born
in Trieste, a border city. In his extraordinary novel, the Donau (or
Danube), he writes with nostalgy about the time everyone in big parts
of Europe could travel around without showing any piece of paper, it
was the time of the Austrian-Hungarian empire.
It was the same with the Ottoman empire.
And now, Europe and the countries who signed the Shengen protocol,
want the same. But we have perverted the borders or the idea of
borderless and we are erecting walls of shame and separation
everywhere. I was in Tanger, Ceuta and Melilla and saw the terrible
walls Fortress Europe keep against Africa. And I has been so many
times in Palestine and saw the wall grow. The US has a long wall
against Mexico, build with Israeli technology and the wors of all is
in the Sahara, where Marocco keep several millions of Saharaui as
refugees in their own lands.
Ana

--
http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860606060
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci