[-empyre-] greetings and the question about performance

Yoko Ishiguro yoko_jimmysparty at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Nov 17 01:47:00 EST 2014

Hello all,

Snow flakes have started to fall here.

I am going to leave this snowy hometown where Yuki-onna will fully enjoy her winter life, and soon move to the country of white-male gaze with a full variety of racism (reflecting Alan's post): e.g. white males (a group of school boys) threw/dropped snowballs to/on me shouting "you Chinese bitch!" from the top of a shopping mall when I was waiting for a bus. I shouted and said "I'm not a Chinese bitch but JUST-A bitch, you understand!?". They were just boys. I coped with the nasty racism and violence with my cleverest humour ever. However, after I got on the bus, my mind was drawn into enormous sadness and anguish, then, exhaustion, then, void.

Herein, I do not know if it is relevant but I would try to introduce my performance I performed occupation by occupation, Occupied, 2008-: I wore a panda suite and occupied male and female toilets.
http://ishiguroyoko.info/iroiro/OCCUPIED.html

The performance could have been done without any performative elements such as the panda costume. For example, I could have just used the toilets such a long period of time and got dragged out by securities (like old-day's performance art), I could have occupied a cubicle but no one could have recognised me performing at all (audience-less, non-art) or I could have been ignored for a much longer time period till I found starved to death (like a suicidal act). Still, it may have been a performance but with little/no effectivity in any cases. Anyway, the aim of this performance is not to create 'immediate efficacy' to change the world -in general, as an artist, I would like to be against 'immediate efficacy' that is the way terrorists use, not because of an ethical reason but an aesthetic reason.
This may have something with the 'stilling movement' Johannes mentioned.

Best wishes and good sleeps,

Yoko