[-empyre-] creative powerlessness, expressive violence, performance

Andreas Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos andreaspm at westminster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 04:29:11 EST 2014

[cid:80BC28D6-6BA7-4CBC-9269-D889CD96EB0A at Home]

"Stay behind the glass. Open your mouth and dribble over the spectacle. Masturbate in front of the camera. And then let yourself be killed. You are another other, not I, not different. You are what I would be, had I been on the other side of the glass. I am hovering.” (picpoet at instagram)

I have just returned after a week in Palestine/Israel. This was a hard week, internationally well-documented but also badly documented, as usual. At the same time, I have been following, on and off, the discussion here. I was particularly taken, perhaps on account of where I was, with the descriptions of Israel/Palestine from someone who lived there and saw it from an internal/external perspective. My academic project involved two lectures, one on israeli and one on palestinian ground, on spatial justice. The lectures were different in order to reflect which side of the wall I was speaking on. They were both based on my recent book with the same name (http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138017382/). My project is this: to understand the movement of bodies across space, and the ensuing impossibility of having two bodies in exactly the same space at exactly the same time. This is the beginning of violence, and its perpetuation. This is the spectacle of violence too, all taking seats in the dualistic theatre of suffering and claiming. I was interested in what Ana wrote about the performance of non-violence and its inherent violence. Amidst all this, I was invited for dinner at a Muslim Palestinian family in East Jerusalem, and indeed the one that holds the keys to the christian church of the holy sepulchre. The family was, what you could describe as solidly bourgeois Palestinians, badly hit by displacements and other Israeli-government policies but still reasonably well off. The mother was one of the most beautiful persons I have ever encountered, a Tennessee Williams heroine who caressed her glass world ever so gently. We talked about astrology, fiction, TV, and cooking. We then went to the garden and she left me with her sons, while she went to the kitchen to prepare some cardamom coffee. Her sons told me that all her family is in Gaza and has not managed to see them for the last 6 years. They have survived the bombing. She came out and we sat in the night warmth, sipping coffee. The garden was taken over by a giant jasmine plant, in full bloom, making me dizzy with a violent happiness, an ecstatic sadness. On my way out, she cut me a few branches so that my ‘hotel room smells nice’.

I am hovering.

Andreas Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos
Professor of Law & Theory, LLB, LLM, PhD

Co-Director The Westminster Law & Theory Centre<http://tinyurl.com/WestminsterResearchCentre>
Winner / Current Judge OUP Law Teacher of the Year<http://www.oup.co.uk/academic/highereducation/law/prizes/lawteacher/judging/>
Editor Space, Materiality and the Normative Routledge Series<http://www.routledge.com/books/series/SMNORM/>
Editorial Committee Law & Critique<http://www.springer.com/philosophy/value+theory/journal/10978>