[-empyre-] from a distance

O Danylyuk danylyuk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 23:14:14 EST 2014

In my previous post I introduced the speculative thought which suggests
wrestling with the 'hard' religious text of Islam. It seams we have been
there before, nevertheless the ideological vacuum of contemporary world
gives way to the new search for the meaning of life in major monotheistic
religions: Judaism, Eastern Orthodoxy and Islam. I am certainly more
knowledgeable about Eastern orthodox Christianity and its tremendous
influence in Russia and Ukraine than about Islam fundamentalisms. It looks
like ISIS uses secrete services strategies of interrogation and terror
wrapped in the fundamentalist ideology. The seeds of new ideology are sown,
especially the concept of *Ummah-* supra-national community or a Common
wealth of believers. Years ago I went to Central Mosque in London, I just
wanted to experience religious ceremony. I was surprised how inclusive this
community is, they welcome everybody with the open arms...I probably
gravitated away from the topic of violence. But on the other hand it brings
me to the idea of Bennett (2005) that sign ' is felt, rather than
recognised or perceived through cognition'. What sign is expressing is not
concerned with communication of information, more likely it is a material
impression reached through our senses. The idea is taken further by
Massumi's refiguration of communicational models of expression to
understanding of how sign can produce a 'shock to thought'. Or in the
Brecht's sense: instead of identifying with characters, the audience should
be educated (?) to be astonished at the circumstances under which they
function...