[-empyre-] Vor dem Gesetz, was geschehen ist

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Sun Nov 23 04:22:41 EST 2014

thank you,  for the complex responses Simon and Monika,
and perhaps we have practitioners of the Law who can answer or help find reference for Christina's question.

Still pondering Simon's note, now refracted through Monika's very committed and forceful plea for artistic-action-as-political-action, against an ever shriller volume of violence:

>>Cultural production as political production, including poetry.  Activating and transformational, even if only nearing this potential of transformation. The artifact, the poetic entity, the place, the site of the encounter, bordelinkings (Bracha Ettinger) . Artifact as the amplifier, as the conduit, as the transmitter, as a fluid membrane, as a form of resonance, as the act of waving our silents and often forcibly silenced arms towards the volume of violence>> [Monika]

The note by Simon:

do you not think that the (fantasy) world we are traversing in this discussion has some intention in posing itself as this particular (multiplicitous) dilemma? that this intention works for, in aid of, political ends? is it not being demanded of us by this world - in shriller and shriller performatives - that we feel and think in a certain way about that which happens, /das Geschehen/? that we indeed feel, think and act /with/ a politics we would, if we gave ourselves the choice, disavow?)>> [Simon]

I would wish for further help here, can you spell it out further please?  Many here have affirmed that the world we traverse is not a fantasy but quite real. And we encounter "essentialisms" (as Abdel Hernández just wrote me, if I translate the spanish correctly), affirming their real many times and we must think, act and "face" (Alan's term), thus make, moral choices as Murat I believe very correcty stated.   And the essentially and factually violent acts against human beings were evoked again by Monika from/through some of the sites where she worked. What then is disavowed by art or cultural practice? Or are you saying, reminding us of an ethos of justice, that our artistic acts are untimely, necessarily, and following your reading of Kafka's parable, that justice and freedom are incompatible?

Christina, are you wondering whether "re-enactment" of crime is justifiable evidence or pre-judicially biasing jurors or judges? What bias, then, to what justice, and are there not many different legal systems and "justices" (recent example, in Iran, a young woman was sentenced to prison for watching a volley ball game)?

regards
Johannes Birringer