[-empyre-] introducing week 3

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 07:21:50 EST 2014

One thing I wonder, how so much cultural work occurs _after the fact,_
after the massacre, the use of the square, the beheading, the genocide;
a temporality of mourning and warning seems embedded in so much
production. It's hard to imagine art against a future massacre, without
the looming presence of one past.

I'm not sure of this at all, but I think that time might be a form of
diacritical mark implicit in a performance related to the events we are
discussing here, others as well, that the work looks back, perhaps
inhabits the horror or curtails its effects.

Related, a work which _satirizes_ the past into the present; this may or
may not be relevant, but is worth seeing (thanks to Mike Gurstein), a form
of healing, even joy, in the midst of everything discussed here -

Africans for Norway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5opSsAYQ3k

- Alan

==
web http://www.alansondheim.org